How to Choose Home Furniture to Visually Expand a Room
People often feel as if they’re fighting an uphill battle to create a cozy, comfortable atmosphere in a small room. But with a few tried and true design ideas, you can make your small room feel larger and be more functional. With Mod Daily’s five home furniture tips, you’ll learn how to create an elegant, stylish home no matter your room size.
Decorating Road Map
Whether you’re just starting out in your first home or redecorating after years of accumulated belongings, almost everyone can benefit from a bit of furniture know-how. The first step is to plan ahead. Moreover, know what you need and want before you start shopping so you don’t end up with a house full of mismatched furniture.
In fact, Mod Daily’s in-depth article describing how to set up a successful project planner will take you through each project phase. Next, read Home Decorating | The Ultimate Guide to Get the Results You Want. And, if you are a DIYer, read all about 3d room planners that you may find helpful. No matter your design approach, don’t forget to include measuring halls, door frames and any architectural barriers that will prevent moving your new furnishings into your home.
"When your space reflects your style, your home becomes your alluring ally." Gigi Day
Choose a Focal Point
The Mod Daily’s Guide to small living room ideas.
What is Focal Point?
Creating a solid focal point in a room is one of the most important aspects of interior design. The focal point is the first thing the eye is drawn to when entering the room and will set the tone for the entire space. By leading the eye directly to the focal point, you can create a sense of cohesion and order in the room, making it feel complete and inviting.
A focal point is essential whether it’s a fireplace, a piece of art, or simply a well-styled mantle, having a focal point gives the eye something to rest upon. Best of all, having a well-crafted focal point creates a sense of balance in the space. [Read: Experts Dish Kitchen Trends]
Draw the Eye Up
Maximizing a small room is all about drawing the eye up and towards your ceiling line or to an appealing view from your window or entry points.
Home Furniture – Scale
How do I know what size furniture to buy?
Ah, the ubiquitous sofa. Because it is one of the most essential furnishings in your living room, you want it to be comfortable, stylish, and the right size for your space. In a small living room, a sofa with tapered legs and a thin frame will help to maximize the space and make the room feel larger. Add in a glass coffee table to reflect light and make the room feel even brighter. Notice the shallow sofa depth in the photo on the left. An otherwise neutral palette (sofa and walls) is made alluring by the sofa’s tapered legs, abstract art that draws the eye upward, and pillows that add pops of color! [Read: The Cozy Charm of 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge and How to Bring it Home]
Buy a Couch
When buying a couch, pay attention to the piece’s scale and ensure it is proportional to the size of the room. A sofa that is too big will make the room feel cramped, while a sofa that is too small will look out of place. One of the easiest ways to visualize the footprint of a new sofa is to place painter’s tape on the floor and wall(s) using accurate measurements. Another safeguard to consider is to use cardboard and create a mock up of the furnishings you are considering.
Decorating golden rule: Live with what you love. (Unknown)
Is it ok to put a sofa in front of a window?
Home Furniture Arrangement
A key factor when placing your sofa and chairs is to ensure a clear sight line to the window(s) and other openings. This will help to maximize the amount of natural light in the room and make it feel more spacious. Of course, this isn’t always possible, especially in smaller rooms, but it’s worth exploring when planning your layout.
Floor Plan Ideas
There are a couple design solutions to consider. If the only option is to place the sofa in front of the window, it can be tempting to push it right up against the wall, but this can actually make the room feel smaller. Instead, try placing it away from the wall for a more open feel. Space permitting, place a narrow sofa table between the window and the couch. Otherwise, choose low-profile, quality furniture to minimize the obstruction of your sight line. Instead of creating an unattractive focal point or visual distraction, the monochromatic color palette shown in the image on the right blends the sofa with the windows.
Design Tip: A room's circulation refers to the flow of foot traffic. You can build on your decorating plan more easily if you have a linear path, visual or physical, going straight to the focal point.
Coordinate Wall and Furniture with a Simple Color Palette
Should furniture be darker or lighter than walls?
Home Furniture Color Scheme Ideas
When choosing a color palette for your home furniture, keep it simple. As a result, a cohesive color scheme will make a small room feel more spacious and open. In fact, one way to achieve this is to use a monochromatic palette that uses different shades of the same color. Another option is to use a limited number of colors throughout the space including your furnishings. [Read: Jennifer Farrell 19 Room Showhome]
Use a Mix of Textures and Patterns
Specifying a sofa and chairs with different textures and patterns is another excellent way to make a small room feel more significant. In other words, using a mix of textures will add visual interest and add depth to the space. When choosing patterns, opt for geometric shapes or stripes, which can help to elongate a room. The image to the left is a good example of a monochromatic color scheme (sofa and walls) and adding in pops of color for interest. Note the upholstery texture too!
Vertical Lines in Interior Design
What effects do horizontal lines have on a room?
You can make your small space seem larger by emphasizing the vertical and horizontal planes of the room. For example, you could install ceiling mounted hanging chairs or purchase a headboard that reaches toward the ceiling to create an optical illusion.
Another trustworthy design element is a live or faux Fiddle Leaf tree coupled with a stand. The restorative link to nature adds a burst of color, texture, and vertical lines, which is always lovely to any room. And here’s another classic design tip: a well-placed vertical mirror expands the space and reflects light into the room.
Console Table or Bookcase
If you have the room, horizontal lines created by a low bookcase or a narrow console table will also give the illusion of more space. Use clear furniture and furnishings as needed to minimize visual clutter. Glass, acrylic, and Lucite furnishings are great options for small spaces because they take up minimal visual space. Just a furnishing or two will do like a Jonathan Adler acrylic bar cart or glass top dining room table can make a big difference.
Multifunctional Furniture Shopping List
What is space saving furniture?
Incredible advances are shaping the home decor industry. There are many opportunities to creatively infuse versatility in the way you use your home. In other words, let your home work for you! Here are some beautiful, space-saving furnishings that will uplevel your lifestyle with convenience and style. Keep in mind that 2Modern offers a 100% price match.
- Small Sectional Sofa: Blu Dot’s New Standard is stylish and contemporary. This streamlined silhouette features powder-coated steel legs, a kiln-dried American hardwood frame, and fluffy feather-and-down cushions.
- Coffee table: This breathtaking piece transforms from a coffee table to a dining room table that can seat eight people! Quite miraculously, the table can be adjusted to seven different heights (from 14″ – 30″). It’s available at 2Modern in Matt Optic White Metal finish, Smoke Wood or Walnut Wood finish.
- Floating Desk: If you have been searching for a floating desk with shelves that will stand the test of time, the Kaari Shelf may be just what you have hoped to find.
- Queen Bed: Wouldn’t it be so helpful to welcome in a Queen bed with built-in storage? The Huppe Sereno Storage Bed tames the clutter and is available in more than 10 finishes. The bed’s Italian mechanism allows you to lift the mattress at a 45 degree angle for easier access to storage.
- Attractive Storage System: The Stacked Storage System by Muuto can be arranged to meet your needs. Options include shelving, sideboards, bookcases or side tables.
Home Furniture for Small Spaces at a Glance
We’ve all been there; you’re trying to find the perfect home furniture for small rooms, and nothing seems to fit right. Well, I’m here to tell you that there is an answer! Creating a solid decorating plan allows you to create harmony and a sense of spaciousness with an unobstructed sight line of your focal point.
Here’s a quick glance at 8 home decor ideas for your decorating project
- Painting walls and ceilings a pale or light color. Another approach includes darker hues to create a jewel-box effect.
- Choosing reflective finishes for walls and floors – in tasteful moderation.
- Hanging mirrors that address either vertical or horizontal lines
- Ensure the windows are clutter-free and that curtains and blinds can pull back or up to allow as much light as possible
- Creating a successful decorating plan requires measuring and recording room dimensions, ceiling heights, door frames, hallways and any architectural barriers.
- Decluttering and investing in clever storage to keep surfaces as clutter-free as possible.
- Adjust the scale of your furnishings and consider specifying low profile and shallow depth home furniture for a small space
- Displaying one large piece of art rather than busy gallery walls
- A glamorous Eichholtz Light brushed brass chandelier from Alchemy Fine Home to add the finishing touch to your room. 2. A stunning hand-blown art glass table lamp references the color palette beautifully. 3. Queen bed with built in storage 4. A stunning wallpaper for an eclectic design style that embraces vertical and horizontal lines.
Design Tip: Creating a successful decorating plan requires measuring and recording room dimensions, ceiling heights, door frames, hallways and any architectural barriers.
Thank you for visiting with us today!
Thank you for joining us today. We hope you find these home furniture tips helpful in making your small space feel larger. If you have any questions, leave us a comment below. We would love to hear from you! We invite you to read other articles on our blog for more home furniture tips and ideas.